In July 1869, the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario opened its first dental school. It was two small rooms located over the British American Insurance office at the northwest corner of Church and Court Streets in Toronto. Just down the street was the two-story first hall of the First Engine Company of York. At the other end of the street stood the old Scottish kirk of St. Andrew’s.
The course was six months long; the fee was $100. Two students completed the course: Gordon Benson of Belleville and James Woods of Sarnia. Its operations were overseen by James Branston Willmott.
In July 1870, with a deficit of $125, the school closed.