Recognized as the father of public health dentistry in Canada, he opened a clinic in downtown Toronto called Christ’s Mission Hall to give free dental treatment to the poor. He ran the clinic for two decades. He was convinced that the correct approach to oral disease was to treat it before extraction became necessary. His plan was to launch a province-wide program to inspect school children’s teeth, detect decayed ones and then restore them. Although he continued to lobby in the interest of the public’s oral health for the years that followed, the governments of the day were unwilling to act. He died in 1922.